Have you made the wonderful discovery of the Spirit-Filled Life?
At our church during the months of May & June, we will be uncovering the significance of being Spirit-filled, and thereby living our lives in the abundance and fruitfulness that God wants us to enjoy. Every day can be an exciting adventure for the Christian who knows the reality of being filled with the Holy Spirit and who lives constantly, moment by moment, under His gracious direction.
Some fundamentals truths to understand this:
- God has provided for us an abundant and fruitful Christian life
- However, carnal Christians cannot experience this
- Jesus promised this (abundant and fruitful) life as the result of being filled (directed and empowered) by the Holy Spirit
According to John 15, the Spirit-filled life is the Christ-directed life by which Christ lives His life in and through us in the power of the Holy Spirit. And one becomes a Christian through the ministry of the Holy Spirit, according to John 3:1-8. From the moment of spiritual birth, the Christian is indwelt by the Holy Spirit at all times. The Holy Spirit is the source of the overflowing life (John 7:37-39).
You can appropriate the filling of the Holy Spirit right now if you:
- Sincerely desire to be directed and empowered by the Holy Spirit (Matthew 5:6; John 7:37-39).
- Confess your sins. By faith thank God that He has forgiven all of your sins – past, present and future – because Christ died for you (Colossians 2:13-15; 1 John 1; 2:1-3; Hebrews 10:1-17).
- Present every area of your life to God (Romans 12:1, 2).
- By faith claim the fullness of the Holy Spirit, according to:
His Command: Be filled with the Spirit. “And do not get drunk with wine, for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit” (Ephesians 5:18).
His Promise: He will always answer when we pray according to His will. “And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked of Him” (1 John 5:14, 15).
Faith (trust in God and in His promises) is the only means by which a Christian can live the Spirit-directed life. As you continue to trust Christ moment by moment: your life will demonstrate more and more of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22, 23) and will be more and more conformed to the image of Christ (Romans 12:2; 2 Corinthians 3:18).
If you wish to understand more about this, why not join us for one of our Sunday Services (details here).